I had this salad at a restaurant in Le Puy-en-Velay. It was a very filling lunch, so don’t underestimate the fact that it’s called a ‘salade’!
- 250g lardons
- ½ romaine lettuce, shredded
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large, red onion, halved and each half very thinly sliced
- 150g blue cheese (bleu d’Auvergne), crumbled
- 1 large, sweet pear, cored and chopped
- 80g walnuts, roughly chopped
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt (preferably fleur de sel) and freshly-cracked pepper
Fry the lardons in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until they are browned and crisp. Drain them and set aside. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl. Add the two kinds of lettuce leaves to the bowl and toss so that everything is coated with the dressing. Divide the dressed lettuce among four plates. Top with the onions, cheese, pears, lardons and walnuts.