This typical Basque dish is delicious as a light lunch. Especially if served with a chilled, fruity Pinot Noir, a good chunk of fresh bread and perhaps a drizzle of olive oil.
- 2 tbsps good olive oil
- 1 large, sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 5 small tomatoes, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp ground piment d’Espelette
- salt (preferably fleur de sel) and freshly-cracked pepper
- 3 eggs
- Bayonne ham
- bread, to serve
Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic. Gently cook without colouring. Add the peppers and allow to cook gently for about six minutes. Add the tomatoes and season with the piment d’Espelette, salt and pepper. Cover and allow to cook for six more minutes. Break the eggs into the stewed vegetables, season, cover and cook for about five more minutes. To serve, make a nest with the Bayonne ham, fill with the stewed vegetables and an egg per person. Serve with the bread.